Sunday, May 20, 2012

Great Manchester Run: Haile Gebrselassie takes fifth crown


Haile Gebrselassie recorded the fastest 10,000m time in the world this year to win his fifth Great Manchester Run.
The Ethiopian, 39, clocked 27 minutes and 29 seconds to beat compatriots Tsegae Kebede and Ayele Abshero, and secure a fourth win in a row.
Gebrselassie missed out on selection for the London 2012 marathon, but may compete in the 10,000m event in which he has won two Olympic golds.
Kenyan Linet Masai took victory in the women's race in 31 minutes, 35 seconds.
Gebrselassie will now run in Hengelo, Holland, next Sunday in a race which will double as the Ethiopian trials, with the top three set to be selected for the London Games.
"I am so happy today, everything was perfect," said Gebrselassie, who could come up against British world champion Mo Farah in London.
"I am not surprised to run that fast. I wanted to run under 27 minutes.
"According to my training this year, I feel I can run faster on the track. I want to go under 27 minutes, that's what I am thinking. If I run this fast on the road, why not on the track?"
In the women's race, former world champion Masai took victory ahead of Britons Charlotte Purdoe in fourth and Mara Yamauchi - who will compete in the marathon at the Olympics - in sixth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment